Sr Application Developer - Business Objects
St. Petersburg, Florida
At HSN you will enjoy a team-focused environment that thrives on innovation and encourages you to be part of a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer. Our dynamic IT teams bring people, process and technology together. They also work to ensure we create a stable operating environment and increase business productivity.
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technologically Savvy
We come together every day to challenge each other and bring the best ideas to life.
HSN is dedicated to empowering women and helping families in times of need. We are motivated and inspired by our passionate customers and team members. Together, we can make a difference.
Paid Time Off
Business Unit Summary
As part of the IT Business Unit, the Enterprise Data Warehouse / Business Intelligence team plays an active role in the life cycle stages of planning, requirement definition, design, development, testing and support of Corporate Business Intelligence solutions and related components. This Senior Software Engineer: evaluates and gains an understanding of business requirements, and translates them into business solutions; provides technical input during the planning, analysis and design phases of complex and sophisticated Business Intelligence solutions; administers and maintains a Linux based Business Objects platform; plays an integral role in cross-functional system integration; mentors staff; and works collaboratively with all business users to find ways to add value to their reporting and analytical needs.
A Day in the Life
- Effectively manage and maintain environments (Development, UAT, and Production) including: installation, configuration, patching, maintenance, user management, and report management.
- Create proactive monitoring services to capture and report availability and performance characteristics.
- Design, develop and test Business Objects back end components (e.g. Universe, data connections, data extractors) and Business Objects Solutions (e.g. Reports, dashboards).
- Gather and document business requirements and translate business requirements into technical requirements, prototypes, and end state products.
- Provide time and effort estimates and lead projects of various complexity.
- Document development work and provide status on progress.
- Lead, participate and provide input during design review sessions and code review sessions with peers.
- Write and executes QA Test Plans when needed.
- Participate in establishing and maintaining BI best practices and standards.
- Serve as a Go-To person and Subject Matter Expert for BI solutions.
- Provide business and production support (24X7 duty pager rotation) as needed.
Keys to Success
At HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent technical work experience.
- At least 6 years of overall Business Intelligence technology experience, including Business Objects Server administration and security, reports and universe design and development, and Xcelsius Dashboard design and development.
- Advanced knowledge of relational databases.
- Extensive experience analyzing data using SQL tools, such as TOAD.
- Experience in all Microsoft Office tools.
- Knowledge of VersionOne or equivalent Version control.
- Experience with Business Objects BI 4.2.
- Some knowledge of ETL architecture and processing.
- Some knowledge of Teradata, Netezza and/or Oracle.
- Some knowledge of UNIX and shell scripting (Korn / Perl).
- Some knowledge of Citrix and VMware.
- Solid analytical skills and strong customer focus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Good follow-up skills.
- Ability to give direction to others.
- Demonstrates the desire to learn ETL and other tools as necessary.
(Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “must haves.”)
Nice to Haves
- Experience with retail and financial data.
- Business Objects Certified Professional (BOCP – BOE).
- Working knowledge on Tableau.
HSN’s unique blend of Retail, Television and eCommerce create a one-of-a-kind working environment. Our employees enjoy a competitive benefit program including health and retirement plans, merchandise discounts, volunteer days, and more. We encourage growth and development across the company. Most importantly, we have fun. Follow HSN Careers on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
To learn more, visit https://jobs.hsn.com.
HSN is a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer, offering a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names to its customers. HSN incorporates entertainment, inspiration, personalities and industry experts to provide an entirely unique shopping experience. At HSN, customers find exceptional selections in Health & Beauty, Jewelry, Home/Lifestyle, Fashion/Accessories, and Electronics. HSN broadcasts reach approximately 90 million households (with live programming 364 days per year) and its website —HSN.com features more than 50,000 product videos. Mobile applications include HSN apps for iPad, iPhone and Android. HSN, Inc., founded 40 years ago as the first shopping network, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty Interactive Corporation and is attributed to the QVC Group tracking stock (NASDAQ: QVCA, QVCB). For more information, please visit http://corporate.hsn.com/newsroom/, or follow @HSN on Facebook and Twitter.
About the QVC Group
The QVC Group consists of eight leading retail brands: QVC, HSN, zulily, Ballard Designs, Frontgate, Garnet Hill, Grandin Road and Improvements The QVCGroup has 27,000 team members in the US, the UK, Germany, Japan, Italy, France, Poland and China. Visit the QVC Group webpage to learn more.
About This Location
Find out what it's like to live and work in St. PetersburgGoogle Map This Location