Merchandise Trainee - CulinaryJob ID 0819310 Date posted 01/03/2019
Business Unit Summary
HSN’s Merchandising teams are responsible for developing our unique product assortment. Our buying teams partner with world class designers and industry experts to develop HSN exclusive products and build their brands. The teams create product and brands to inspire, entertain and engage our customers through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation and promotion.
Day in the Life
Under general supervision, the Merchandise Trainee supports the divisional merchandising strategy and helps maximize effectiveness by providing support and assistance to their buying team. This role is used as a foundation to build on employees' fundamental knowledge of retail buying, allowing entry level merchandising candidates an opportunity to begin their corporate retail buying career.
- Enter purchase order information (pricing/delivery terms) and creating of HSN item numbers using established systems.
- Track vendor shipments of samples and inventory to ensure timely delivery.
- Maintain sample room.
- Administrative support to the buying team including scheduling vendor appointments, preparation of adhoc reports, maintenance of vendor files and routine correspondence.
- Assisting new team members in acclimating to the HSN buying process.
- Gain an understanding of the merchandising process and product lifecycle.
Keys to Success
At HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- BS/BA degree, preferably in merchandising and/or marketing.
- Understanding of the merchandising process and product lifecycle.
- Experience in a traditional retail environment.
- Intermediate level knowledge of MS Office.
- Ability to spot trends and translate them into product suggestions desired by our target customer.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage multiple assignments at the same time.
- You have the eagerness to learn.
- Ability to carry, push or pull items (up to 30 lbs) unaided.
Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “must haves”.
Nice to Haves
- Bachelors Degree in related field (i.e. Merchandising) and have completed a Merchandising Internship.
- 1-2 years of administrative experience.
- Experience working for a major retailer.
- Experience working in complex environments.
- Experience working in a global buying environment, building both digital and non-digital assortments.
HSN’s unique blend of Retail, Television and eCommerce create a one-of-a-kind working environment. Our employees enjoy a competitive benefit program including health and retirement plans, merchandise discounts, volunteer days, and more. We encourage growth and development across the company. Most importantly, we have fun. Follow HSN Careers on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
To learn more, visit https://jobs.hsn.com.
About HSN, Inc.
HSN, Inc., is a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer, offering a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names to its customers. HSN incorporates entertainment, inspiration, personalities and industry experts to provide an entirely unique shopping experience. At HSN, customers find exceptional selections in Health & Beauty, Jewelry, Home/Lifestyle, Fashion/Accessories, and Electronics. HSN broadcasts reach approximately 90 million households (with live programming 364 days per year) and its website — HSN.com features more than 50,000 product videos. Mobile applications include HSN apps for iPad, iPhone and Android. Visit corporate.hsn.com to learn more.HSN, Inc., founded 40 years ago as the first shopping network, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce, #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer). For more information, visit www.qurateretailgroup.com. For more information, please visit corporate.hsn.com, or follow @HSN on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
About Qurate Retail, Inc.
Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB) is comprised of eight leading retail brands – QVC, HSN, zulily, Ballard Designs, Frontgate, Garnet Hill, Grandin Road and Improvements (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”) – all dedicated to providing a ‘third way to shop,’ beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores. Globally, Qurate Retail Group is #1 in video commerce, reaching approximately 370 million homes worldwide via 16 television networks and multiple ecommerce sites, social pages, mobile apps, print catalogs, and in-store destinations, and is #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the US. Qurate Retail, Inc. also holds minority interests in ILG and FTD as well as various green energy investments.