Buyer - Fashion AccessoriesJob ID R39227 Date posted 08/24/2019
The Buyer is responsible for buying a product category or brand, which includes identifying, developing, negotiating price and terms, and executing new products, concepts, shows, brands and ideas while maximizing multi-platform opportunities. Develop proprietary brands by working with external departments such as Legal and Creative Services. Develop and plan seasonally appropriate merchandise assortments and identify key item drivers. Select products based on relevant trends and understand how to translate them into products/concept shows for multi-platform retail. Perform duties according to company policies and procedures with latitude for independent judgment and initiative.
Job Description Details
Day in the Life
- Identify, develop, negotiate terms and purchase items that will be successful in electronic retail and which meet or exceed the expectations of our customers. Develop and execute new and existing planned shows that meet or exceed the expectations of the customer. Maintain ownership of sales, product development and purchasing for a brand or category
- Participate in the development of seasonal sales plans and open-to-buy (OTB). Maximize “Planned Show” and Today’s Special (TS) sales. Track inventory levels and collaborate with Planning to action items in a timely way (e.g., Returns-to-vendor, Debits). Handle Quality Assurance (QA) issues. Demonstrate a high level of product expertise
- Responsible for vendor communication, education and preparation. Accountable for vendor contract process from internal legal coordination through executed contract. Give effective oral and written presentations
- Issue timely Purchase Orders (PO’s) as well as other operational functions. Oversee general office operations
- Partner with internal counterparts to maximize efficiency of product lifecycle activities. Establish cross-functional relationships with Quality Assurance, Guest Operations, Supply Chain, Legal, Sales and Planning. Developing these relationships is an essential part of maintaining clear business goals and objectives
- Actively participate and present in various meetings as necessary. Perform other duties/projects as assigned
- Maintain an understanding of market trends and categories to build the business. Develop a strong understanding of the buying behavior and demographics of the core HSN customer
- Strategically plan business and develop “On Air” sales strategies while maximizing multi-platform opportunities. Identify, develop, negotiate price and buy items that will be successful in Electronic Retail and which meet or exceed the expectations of our customers. Accountable for development of new vendors and product categories that can meet or exceed our quality standards and customers’ expectations. Work with various departments to maximize the sales potential of items and categories
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent business experience
- Minimum of four years’ experience in a Buyer position. Prior experience managing/leading others
- Excellent oral, written and telephonic communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to lead, direct and develop others
- Understanding and the ability to do succession planning
- Ability to make decisions to achieve desired results
- Ability to analyze data and draw relevant conclusions to have positive effects on business
- Advanced negotiation and persuasion skills
- Ability to access information using automated systems (e.g., windows based computer)
- Ability to make oral and written presentations. Ability and confidence to present opinions and thoughts in a clear, unbiased manner
Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “must haves”.
Nice to Haves
- Direct buying experience preferred in Jewelry, Accessories, Handbags, Intimate Apparel, Luggage
About HSN, Inc.
HSN, Inc., is a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer, offering a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names to its customers. HSN incorporates entertainment, inspiration, personalities and industry experts to provide an entirely unique shopping experience. At HSN, customers find exceptional selections in Health & Beauty, Jewelry, Home/Lifestyle, Fashion/Accessories, and Electronics. HSN broadcasts reach approximately 90 million households (with live programming 364 days per year) and its website — HSN.com features more than 50,000 product videos. Mobile applications include HSN apps for iPad, iPhone and Android. Visit corporate.hsn.com to learn more. HSN, Inc., founded 40 years ago as the first shopping network, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce, #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer).
As an equal opportunity employer, Qurate Retail Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is also committed to a barrier-free employment process. In order to ensure reasonable accommodations for individuals pursuant to applicable law, individuals that require accommodation in the job application process for a posted position may contact us at CareersUS@QVC.com for assistance.
Click Apply and log in with your existing account or create an account. This will allow you to check the status of your application at any time and receive the most up to date communications from our Talent Acquisition team.