Business AnalystJob ID R38682 Date posted 08/09/2019
The Finance Business Analyst’s primary responsibility is to have a broad understanding of our Business and use that knowledge to execute recurring and ad-hoc reporting and analysis. This position will support the monthly planning cycle at HSN with some responsibilities across QxH. Finance Business Analyst will be responsible for developing complex reporting and analysis, requiring integration of data from different data sources and different brands (HSN, QVC) that addresses business needs.
Job Description Details
Day in the Life
- Assist with budgeting and forecasting activities and deliverables including preparation, development of key financial statements, modeling, and input of figures into the company’s reporting tool (BPC).
- Enjoys discovering and solving data challenges - dissecting them with steady logical reasoning to quickly uncover insights based on a strong business understanding
- Understands how to tell a story with data analysis to inform senior executives and assist with decision making
- Primary finance support on a key savings initiative across QxH. Monthly tracking of benefits, partner with accounting and business on calculation of accounting entries.
- Works with their team leader and senior level stakeholders to understand their requirements, and analyze business information to provide insights
- Proactively seeks clarification of requirements and direction
Assist with monthly forecasting and annual budgeting activities:
- Assist with development of supporting models, documentation, or templates for monthly forecasting, annual budgeting, and reporting/analytical systems.
- Coordination / tracking of key deliverables during budget and forecast processes.
- Collaborate with Finance Business Partners to ensure quality variance analysis
- Responsible for translating financial metrics into transaction metrics and loading them into the Financial Forecasting / Consolidation system
- Assist with consolidation of risk and opportunities in the budget and forecast.
- Perform initial variance explanation for each key accounts vs. budget, prior year, prior forecast
- Maintain, develop, and own key monthly / quarterly financial and non-financial reports
- Prepare and review standard monthly reporting packages and review data for accuracy.
- Actuals variance analysis reports & reviews for actual vs. budget, forecast, and LY.
- Assist with ad hoc business unit performance reports and analytics
- Perform Business Reporting reconciliations and User Acceptance Testing for newly developed reports, metrics and capabilities
- Ongoing verification of savings opportunities identified by strategic initiative
- Monthly tracking of realization of savings across QxH
- Provide calculations and support for Accounting and Accounts Payable monthly entries
- Identify process improvement opportunities on business planning by leveraging company experience and knowledge. Would include developing new approaches to reporting and analytics that increase efficiencies, effectiveness, and elevate insights of the work / process performed
- All other duties as assigned
Keys to Success
At HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting (preferred), Finance, or similarly related business field; Masters, MBA, and/or CPA preferred
- 5 years of experience working in a corporate finance, business analysis and / or business consulting environment
- Experience with preparing annual budget and forecasts
- Experience supporting a wide range of client levels
- Strong knowledge of GAAP as it relates to accounting rules
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in reporting of numbers, results, schedules, etc.
- Comfort / ability to work with different IT reporting systems / tools or the ability to learn them relatively quickly.
- Solid Microsoft Excel skills – proficiency with working in spreadsheets and use of key tools / functions such as graphing, lookups, pivot tables, etc. In addition, proficiency in creating efficient and sustainable models that can be used for ongoing analysis and / or forecasting.
- Good understanding and familiarity with Microsoft PowerPoint to create presentations
- Ability to compile and analyze data from various sources; ability to leverage analytical work into result-oriented storytelling and actionable insights
- Understanding of key financial statements (i.e., income statement, cash flow, balance) and how they interrelate
- Good knowledge of Accounting
- Problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills working with cross-functional partners at all levels of the organization
- Curiosity mentality; works to understand the “why” and the “how” so as to deepen business knowledge / understanding that can be leveraged to improve internal processes or develop meaningful business insights
Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “must haves”.
Nice to Haves
- Internal consulting skills a plus
- Experiencing in public accounting / auditing a plus
- Retail industry experience preferred
About HSN, Inc.
HSN, Inc., is a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer, offering a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names to its customers. HSN incorporates entertainment, inspiration, personalities and industry experts to provide an entirely unique shopping experience. At HSN, customers find exceptional selections in Health & Beauty, Jewelry, Home/Lifestyle, Fashion/Accessories, and Electronics. HSN broadcasts reach approximately 90 million households (with live programming 364 days per year) and its website — HSN.com features more than 50,000 product videos. Mobile applications include HSN apps for iPad, iPhone and Android. Visit corporate.hsn.com to learn more. HSN, Inc., founded 40 years ago as the first shopping network, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce, #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer).
As an equal opportunity employer, Qurate Retail Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is also committed to a barrier-free employment process. In order to ensure reasonable accommodations for individuals pursuant to applicable law, individuals that require accommodation in the job application process for a posted position may contact us at CareersUS@QVC.com for assistance.
Click Apply and log in with your existing account or create an account. This will allow you to check the status of your application at any time and receive the most up to date communications from our Talent Acquisition team.