Associate Product Owner
St. Petersburg, Florida
At HSN you will enjoy a team-focused environment that thrives on innovation and encourages you to be part of a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer. Our dynamic IT teams bring people, process and technology together. They also work to ensure we create a stable operating environment and increase business productivity.
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technologically Savvy
We come together every day to challenge each other and bring the best ideas to life.
HSN is dedicated to empowering women and helping families in times of need. We are motivated and inspired by our passionate customers and team members. Together, we can make a difference.
Paid Time Off
The Associate Product Owner reports to the Product Manager who oversees a certain product line/program.
The Associate Product Owner is the member of a cross-functional and cross-market agile development team who serves as the customer proxy and is responsible for helping to define and prioritize the team backlog so that the solution effectively addresses product priorities while maintaining conceptual and technical integrity. As such, the Associate Product Owner articulates detailed user stories, participates in daily scrum rituals, assists with any necessary product-related clarifications, and, with some assistance from a Product Owner/ Sen. Product Owner is able to manage local market and global priorities.
The Associate Product Owner is responsible for creating requirements in the form of user stories to introduce or enhance key functions to a software, system or platform. With guidance from their Product Manager, they “own” their product (from a backlog and implementations perspective) and are measured on its’ success.
The Associate Product Owner must have a general understanding of the product/ area they support with a willingness to grow and build their expertise in the product - both, from a business perspective as well as the technical side - and be capable of interfacing between the business and IT.
Job Description Details
- Customer and market research – Understand customer needs as well as market trends and new technologies. Regularly engage in conversations with customers and attend usability tests with customers and users to validate the product.
- Requirements gathering – Help with requirements gathering effort on the epics - consulting with Product Management, clients, stakeholders, Legal, IT, and others. With some guidance from their manager work with subject matter experts across the organization to gather requirements, understand business rules and challenges or limitations and respond to business needs. Consult with other Product Owners to help assess impacts of changes, manage requirement dependencies and ensure conceptual and technical integrity.
Story Documentation and Acceptance Criteria:
- Story documentation – Document the requirements for key functions deconstructing the epic into actionable user stories. Ensure that stories focus on the value the user gains from the product.
- Develop feature acceptance criteria – Define, at a high level, the test/feature acceptance criteria which will confirm that a user story works as required.
Product Backlog Management:
- Manage product backlog – Manage, adjust for risk, and prioritize product backlog with some direction from the Product Manager. Ensure that work items are sequenced according to business priority and, thus, drive iteration goals and iteration content via prioritized stories.
- Backlog grooming – Participate in backlog grooming to deconstruct, refine and estimate stories, add acceptance criteria and enable long-range technical planning.
“Management” of Development Team:
- Be available for the team in all Scrum ceremonies – Attend scrum meetings including standups, retrospectives, and demos. Help answer questions from developers and clarify requirements. Be available to any member of the team, at any time, to answer any question related to the team's current commitments.
- Help the team to manage itself – Push the Product Manager and pull the team to maintain a continuous velocity stream, ensure quality, and eliminate escaped defects.
Vision and Success:
- Responsible for success of product – As the whole or partial owner of the product the Associate Product Owner is responsible for a successful outcome of the product delivered by the team. This requires the Associate Product Owner to collect and incorporate early feedback from customers and other relevant stakeholders. This also means that the Associate Product Owner is expected to help in case resources fall short, e.g. for testing.
- Ownership and vision – Contribute to vision and program backlog.
Agile & Scrum Knowledge
The Associate Product Owner should understand the agile framework, including Scrum values, the agile workflow, ceremonies, artifacts, and roles and responsibilities within the agile team. Specifically, they have to know their responsibility in helping the Scrum team to determine WHAT commitments to make, or WHAT problems to solve.
The Associate Product Owner needs to be comfortable with data such as e.g. usage stats, user demographics, etc. and be able to effectively identify and extract relevant information from large amounts of data.
The primary goal of an Associate Product Owner is to represent the needs of the customer and stakeholder community to an agile delivery team, being the first source of information about the problem domain for the team. In order to do this effectively the Associate Product Owner needs to understand business priorities, be able to break these down into the product priorities for their area, and make decisions in situations of conflicting priorities with some direction.
While the Associate Product Owner is not an Engineer/Developer who is actually building the product he/she should be familiar with the HOW and be able to understand the systems, applications, information flows, architectures, technical infrastructures, languages, and build cycles with respect to his/her product. They need to be able and comfortable to have technical conversations with the development team to understand technical priorities, impacts and dependencies as wells as non-functional requirements and technical enablers.
User Experience skills
For any customer-facing products, the Associate Product Owner works closely with the UX Architect/Designer to deliver a great user experience for their product. And while it is not the Associate Product Owner’s core job to design the user experience, in order to ensure that their product creates the desired value for its customers/users and for the business they should know enough about determining the right user experience, characterizing, validating and enhancing it so that they can guide the team and effectively collaborate with its members.This includes basic skills from various UX and Design related disciplines like e.g. Human Computer Interaction, User Interaction and User Research.
The Associate Product Owner is responsible for accepting stories as done. This includes validation that the story meets acceptance criteria, that the appropriate acceptance tests have been performed successfully, and that it otherwise meets its definition of done. The Associate Product Owner can - but doesn’t have to – take on the acceptance testing themselves or work closely with a well-versed individual (e.g. a UAT Engineer) on this. In doing so, the Associate Product Owner also assures a level of quality, focusing primarily on fitness for use.
The Associate Product Owner must be a team player who relies on close collaboration with the other Scrum team members, yet has no formal authority over them. An Associate Product Owner is best described as primus inter pares, first among peers, regarding the product.
The Associate Product Owner must be an effective communicator and listener. The individual is expected to be able to communicate and align with different parties, including Users/Customers, Development and Engineering, UX/Design, Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, and Management. They have to ensure that their user stories are clear so that the team understands the work while at the same time capture the task’s intent. The Associate Product Owner is the voice of the customer, communicating customer needs and requirements and bridging the gap between Business and IT.
Enterprise and domain expertise
Associate Product Owners are developing an expertise for the domain of their product and the users of their product. They know what users are using now and how and why the new product is different and what value it will deliver.
The Associate Product Owner must have an understanding of Qurate Group’s business goals and strategies, applying that knowledge to develop solutions that are aligned to these core strategies. They possess willingness to learn more about the business processes and services relevant to their product and how technology is used within various business units, and the organization as a whole. As a global role, the Associate Product Owner must have a general understanding of the business processes, systems and needs within each market in case these vary across geos. They understand or seek to find the relationships and interdependencies of various departments/functions/markets/sites.
- Typical candidates will possess 2+ years of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a suitable area such as Digital Media, Engineering, Marketing, etc.
- Experience in an agile work setting
- Must be passionate about great products and experienced in product development and delivery
- Experience with software development and collaboration tools such as Jira, VersionOne, Confluence, Trello, Slack, etc. - nice to have
- Ability to empathize with the respective target market (customer) and understand cultural differences for international products
- Ability to handle changing priorities and to use good judgment when working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to focus on the key problem to be solved and not get distracted
- Deep customer empathy and excellent customer experience intuition
- High level of integrity, reflecting the value of the company and the product
- Embrace lean product development principles
- Confidence, drive and enthusiasm
- Innovative mindset
About HSN, Inc.
HSN, Inc., is a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer, offering a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names to its customers. HSN incorporates entertainment, inspiration, personalities and industry experts to provide an entirely unique shopping experience. At HSN, customers find exceptional selections in Health & Beauty, Jewelry, Home/Lifestyle, Fashion/Accessories, and Electronics. HSN broadcasts reach approximately 90 million households (with live programming 364 days per year) and its website — HSN.com features more than 50,000 product videos. Mobile applications include HSN apps for iPad, iPhone and Android. Visit corporate.hsn.com to learn more. HSN, Inc., founded 40 years ago as the first shopping network, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce, #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer).
As an equal opportunity employer, Qurate Retail Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is also committed to a barrier-free employment process. In order to ensure reasonable accommodations for individuals pursuant to applicable law, individuals that require accommodation in the job application process for a posted position may contact us at CareersUS@QVC.com for assistance.
Click Apply and log in with your existing account or create an account. This will allow you to check the status of your application at any time and receive the most up to date communications from our Talent Acquisition team.
About This Location
Find out what it's like to live and work in St. PetersburgGoogle Map This Location