Associate Buyer - JewelryJob ID R42644 Date posted 02/14/2020
HSN’s Merchandising teams are responsible for developing our unique product assortment. Our buying teams partner with world class designers and industry experts to develop HSN exclusive products and build their brands. The teams create product and brands to inspire, entertain and engage our customers through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation and promotion.
Job Description Details
Day in the Life
The Associate Buyer collaborates with their Buyer, Merchandise Planner, Programming Manager, Television team, Quality Assurance and Vendors to develop and create a product selection that sets HSN apart. Associate buyers, in collaboration with their buyer, develop business strategies that drive sales through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation, promotion and ROI.
- Conducting Open to Buy for assigned categories/vendors
- Accompanying Buyer on buying trips and to trade shows when needed
- Negotiating buying terms with vendors (price, quantity, delivery terms, and markdown $)
- Studying industry publications and popular media for trends and new product ideas
- Presenting category recommendations twice annually to VP/Director of the category
- Developing financial plan for the vendor(s) (profitability targets, markup and receipt flow)
- Developing new products with existing vendors or sourcing new vendors for product ideas
- Sourcing TS opportunities within the category
- Managing inventory levels with Merchandise Planner
- Building strong relationships with vendors
- Working with Planning & Programming depts. to support vendor strategy and HSN overall strategy
- Partnering with Television leadership to convey vendor requests (special sets or lighting, guest relations requests etc.)
- Partnering with Legal to ensure contractual obligations are met.
- Coaching and mentoring supporting staff of the buying team
- 5 years’ industry related experience – i.e.: Retail/Merch/Buying
- BS/BA Degree in a related field
- Ability to spot trends in the market and translate them into products desired by our target customer.
- Ability to analyze sales reports and future projections and draw conclusions/ provide recommendations on maximizing profit.
- Ability to determine value of product from materials and labor costs.
- Skill in negotiating terms and conditions.
- Skill in developing Open-To-Buy plan.
- Excellent communications skills both written and oral.
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems.
- Skill in product development.
- Proficient Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook
Nice to Haves
- 6 + years’ industry related experience – i.e.: Retail/Merch/Buying
- Experience in managing multiple direct reports.
- Leadership and mentoring experience.
- Category experience.
- Ability to travel both domestically and abroad as required
About HSN, Inc.
HSN, Inc., is a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer, offering a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names to its customers. HSN incorporates entertainment, inspiration, personalities and industry experts to provide an entirely unique shopping experience. At HSN, customers find exceptional selections in Health & Beauty, Jewelry, Home/Lifestyle, Fashion/Accessories, and Electronics. HSN broadcasts reach approximately 90 million households (with live programming 364 days per year) and its website — HSN.com features more than 50,000 product videos. Mobile applications include HSN apps for iPad, iPhone and Android. Visit corporate.hsn.com to learn more. HSN, Inc., founded 40 years ago as the first shopping network, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce, #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer).
As an equal opportunity employer, Qurate Retail Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is also committed to a barrier-free employment process. In order to ensure reasonable accommodations for individuals pursuant to applicable law, individuals that require accommodation in the job application process for a posted position may contact us at CareersUS@QVC.com for assistance.
Click Apply and log in with your existing account or create an account. This will allow you to check the status of your application at any time and receive the most up to date communications from our Talent Acquisition team.