Associate Buyer - CulinaryJob ID 0819205 Date posted 11/27/2018
HSN’s Merchandising teams are responsible for developing our unique product assortment. Our buying teams partner with world class designers and industry experts to develop HSN exclusive products and build their brands. The teams create product and brands to inspire, entertain and engage our customers through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation and promotion.
The Associate Buyer collaborates with their Buyer, Merchandise Planner, Programming Manager, Television team, Quality Assurance and Vendors to develop and create a product selection that sets HSN apart. Associate buyers, in collaboration with their buyer, develop business strategies that drive sales through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation, promotion and ROI.
- Conducting Open to Buy for assigned categories/vendors
- Accompanying Buyer on buying trips and to trade shows when needed
- Negotiating buying terms with vendors (price, quantity, delivery terms, and markdown $)
- Studying industry publications and popular media for trends and new product ideas
- Presenting category recommendations twice annually to VP/Director of the category
- Developing financial plan for the vendor(s) (profitability targets, markup and receipt flow)
- Developing new products with existing vendors or sourcing new vendors for product ideas
- Sourcing TS opportunities within the category
- Managing inventory levels with Merchandise Planner
- Building strong relationships with vendors
- Working with Planning & Programming depts. to support vendor strategy and HSN overall strategy
- Partnering with Television leadership to convey vendor requests (special sets or lighting, guest relations requests etc.)
- Partnering with Legal to ensure contractual obligations are met.
- Coaching and mentoring supporting staff of the buying team
At HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- 5 years’ industry related experience – i.e.: Retail/Merch/Buying
- BS/BA Degree in a related field
- Ability to spot trends in the market and translate them into products desired by our target customer.
- Ability to analyze sales reports and future projections and draw conclusions/ provide recommendations on maximizing profit.
- Ability to determine value of product from materials and labor costs.
- Skill in negotiating terms and conditions.
- Skill in developing Open-To-Buy plan.
- Excellent communications skills both written and oral.
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems.
- Skill in product development.
- Proficient Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook
- 6 + years’ industry related experience – i.e.: Retail/Merch/Buying
- Experience in managing multiple direct reports.
- Leadership and mentoring experience.
- Category experience.
- Ability to travel both domestically and abroad as required.
HSN’s unique blend of Retail, Television and eCommerce create a one-of-a-kind working environment. Our employees enjoy a competitive benefit program including health and retirement plans, merchandise discounts, volunteer days, and more. We encourage growth and development across the company. Most importantly, we have fun. Follow HSN Careers on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
To learn more, visit https://jobs.hsn.com.
HSN, Inc., is a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer, offering a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names to its customers. HSN incorporates entertainment, inspiration, personalities and industry experts to provide an entirely unique shopping experience. At HSN, customers find exceptional selections in Health & Beauty, Jewelry, Home/Lifestyle, Fashion/Accessories, and Electronics. HSN broadcasts reach approximately 90 million households (with live programming 364 days per year) and its website — HSN.com features more than 50,000 product videos. Mobile applications include HSN apps for iPad, iPhone and Android. Visit corporate.hsn.com to learn more.
HSN, Inc., founded 40 years ago as the first shopping network, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce, #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer). For more information, visit www.qurateretailgroup.com. For more information, please visit corporate.hsn.com, or follow @HSN on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
About Qurate Retail, Inc.
Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB) is comprised of eight leading retail brands – QVC, HSN, zulily, Ballard Designs, Frontgate, Garnet Hill, Grandin Road and Improvements (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”) – all dedicated to providing a ‘third way to shop,’ beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores. Globally, Qurate Retail Group is #1 in video commerce, reaching approximately 370 million homes worldwide via 16 television networks and multiple ecommerce sites, social pages, mobile apps, print catalogs, and in-store destinations, and is #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the US. Qurate Retail, Inc. also holds minority interests in ILG and FTD as well as various green energy investments.