On Call Remote Lighting GripJob ID 0816402 Date posted 07/25/2017
Business Unit Summary
The remote production team assists multiple teams in their production needs. You will be responsible for supporting the overall lighting and rigging process during an offline and remote production under the direction of the Gaffer and/or Directory of Photography. The Grips are the ones who install the lighting equipment and arrange the power supply in order to create the designed lighting effects.
About “On –Call” @ HSN
HSN employs “on call” staff to cover projects, vacation, and periods of high volume.
“On call” means that you are scheduled “as needed”, and you could work a varied schedule from week to week based on our needs and your availability. You may know your schedule a few weeks in advance however you may also be called on short notice.
A Day in the Life
- Assemble, build, and/or mount lighting and camera equipment, and set up electrical systems from the beginning stages under the direction of the Director of Photography and Gaffer
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment
- Prepare, load, and unload production vehicles with the lighting and video gear
- Drive large vehicles with manual transmission
- Responsible for the build out and strike down of all lighting gear on location
Guide cranes and booms using control levers and wheels, ensuring camera moves are as seamless as possible and lighting is adequate for each scene (per the DP or Gaffer’s direction)
- Sew materials to make and repair tents, tarps, scrims, and backings.
- Cut gelatin and fiberglass light diffusers
- Hang lighting, focus lighting and power lights
- Dismantle frames and scaffolding
- Rig prefabricated dressing rooms
- Maintain and repair equipment including tripods, dollies, tracks, jibs, cranes, and static rigs; also perform light repairs
Keys to Success
At HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- 3 years in television or film production with lighting experience
- Intermediate knowledge of electrical systems and lighting meters
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of studio equipment including sets, props, cameras, conventional lights, HMI, moving lights, RGB, CMY fixtures and DMX control
- Basic understanding and working field knowledge of HMI equipment
- Strong working knowledge of proper rigging to ensure the safety of all large lighting fixtures
- Strong working knowledge of studio equipment including sets, props, cameras, and lighting equipment
- Strong working knowledge of industry standard lighting and grip equipment
- Strong working knowledge of a studio lighting grid and digital lighting board
- The ability to drive a box vehicle up to 26ft in length with manual or standard transmission
- Valid Florida drivers license
- Ability to climb ladders; comfortable with heights
- Lift, push, and pull items over 50 lbs.
- Packaging/un-packaging items
- Stand for extending periods of time
- Balance, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Close, distant, peripheral, depth vision
- Ability to adjust and focus sight
- Handling objects, tools or controls
- Balance, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
- Close, Distant, Peripheral, Depth vision
- Ability to adjust and focus sight
Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “must haves”.
Nice to Haves
- 6 years in television or film production with lighting experience
- Ability to multi task in a fast paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
HSN’s unique blend of Retail, Television and eCommerce create a one-of-a-kind working environment. Our employees enjoy a competitive benefit program including health and retirement plans, merchandise discounts, volunteer days, and more. We encourage growth and development across the company. Most importantly, we have fun. Follow HSN Careers on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
To learn more, visit http://www.hsn.com/careers
HSN, Inc. (Nasdaq:HSNI) is a $4 billion interactive multichannel retailer with strong direct-to-consumer expertise among its two operating segments, HSN and Cornerstone. HSNi offers innovative, differentiated retail experiences on TV, online, via mobile devices, in catalogs, and in brick and mortar stores. HSN, a leading interactive multichannel retailer which offers a curated assortment of exclusive products combined with top brand names, now reaches approximately 94 million homes (24 hours a day, seven days a week, live 364 days a year). HSN.com offers a differentiated digital experience by leveraging content, community and commerce. In addition to its existing media platforms, HSN is the industry leader in transactional innovation, including services such as HSN Shop by Remote®, the only service of its kind in the U.S., the HSN Shopping App for mobile handheld devices and HSN on Demand®. Cornerstone comprises leading home and apparel lifestyle brands including Ballard Designs®, Frontgate®, Garnet Hill®, Grandin Road®, and Improvements®. Cornerstone distributes approximately 325 million catalogs annually, operates five separate digital sales sites and operates 14 retail and outlet stores.