Beauty BuyerJob ID 0817180 Date posted 12/13/2017
HSN’s Merchandising teams are responsible for developing our unique product assortment. Our buying teams partner with world class designers and industry experts to develop HSN exclusive products and build their brands. The teams create product and brands to inspire, entertain and engage our customers through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation and promotion. Buyers collaborate with Merchandise Planners, Programming Managers, Television team, Quality Assurance and Vendors to development and create the product selection that sets HSN apart. This team develops business strategies that drive sales through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation, promotion and ROI.
A Day in the Life
- Buying responsibility and financial accountability for Beauty.
- Conducting buying trips on an as needed basis.
- Negotiating buying terms with vendors (price, quantity, delivery terms, and markdown $).
- Manage inventory levels with input from Merchandise Administration team and Planning.
- Developing new products with existing vendors or sourcing new vendors for product ideas.
- Sourcing promotional opportunities within the category.
- Presenting category recommendations twice annually to VP/Director of the category:
- Future Plans
- Developing financial plan for the vendor(s) (profitability targets, markup and receipt flow).
- Keep abreast of industry trends and new product ideas.
- Building strong relationship with vendors.
- Attending to vendor/guest needs while on-site.
- Attract, motivate, and develop a team that will consist of Sr. Associate Buyer, Assistant Buyer, and Merchandise Assistants.
- Direct and coordinate work of team to ensure effective execution of strategy and attainment of goals.
- Partnering with Television, Digital and Social leadership to convey vendor requests (special sets or lighting, guest relations requests etc.)
- Partnering with Legal to ensure contractual obligations are met.
Keys to Success
At HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- Min 7 years buying experience with at least 4 years in Beauty
- BS/BA Degree
- Understanding of the merchandising process and product lifecycle i.e. Open to Buy
- Understanding of the product development lifecycle
- Understanding of portfolio management
- Knowledge of the various manufacturing processes for appropriate lines of business
- Must be able to think both globally/strategically as well as tactically
- Ability to analyze reports and draw conclusions/recommendations
- Ability to remain flexible and willing to change strategies as business needs dictate
- Strong understanding of staff development, mentoring and coaching skills
- Strong interpersonal skills particularly with building and managing peer relationships and relationships with senior management
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Strong understanding of merchandising financials and the ability to manage profitability
- Advanced Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook (ex. Creating and formatting formulas, links, graphs, charts and presentations
- Ability to travel both domestically and abroad as required
- Awareness of emerging online retail trends and usability best practices
Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “must haves”.
HSN is a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer, offering a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names to its customers. HSN incorporates entertainment, inspiration, personalities and industry experts to provide an entirely unique shopping experience. At HSN, customers find exceptional selections in Health & Beauty, Jewelry, Home/Lifestyle, Fashion/Accessories, and Electronics. HSN broadcasts reach approximately 90 million households (with live programming 364 days per year) and its website — HSN.com features more than 50,000 product videos. Mobile applications include HSN apps for iPad, iPhone and Android. HSN, Inc., founded 40 years ago as the first shopping network, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty Interactive Corporation and is attributed to the QVC Group tracking stock (NASDAQ: QVCA, QVCB). For more information, please visit http://corporate.hsn.com/newsroom/, or follow @HSN on Facebook and Twitter.
About the QVC Group
The QVC Group offers the most engaging shopping experiences, combining the best of retail, media and social. The QVC Group consists of eight leading retail brands: QVC, HSN, zulily, Ballard Designs, Frontgate, Garnet Hill, Grandin Road and Improvements. The QVC Group features curated collections of world-class and entrepreneurial products, presented in engaging, innovative ways, with outstanding customer service. In addition to being the world leader in video commerce, the QVC Group is #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer). The QVC Group reaches over 360 million homes worldwide through 17 television networks (including a joint venture in China) and multiple ecommerce sites, social pages, mobile apps, print catalogs and in-store destinations -- aggregating large audiences of enthusiastic shoppers. The QVC Group delivers increasingly personalized content to customers through data analytics and machine learning. The brands of the QVC Group build strong personal connections and long-term relationships with customers, achieving outstanding levels of customer loyalty and retention. Headquartered in West Chester, Pa., the QVC Group has 27,000 team members in the US, the UK, Germany, Japan, Italy, France, Poland and China. Visit the QVC Group webpage to learn more.
The QVC Group is comprised of QVC, Inc., HSN, Inc. (which includes Cornerstone Brands), and zulily, LLC, each of which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty Interactive Corporation, attributed to the QVC Group tracking stock (NASDAQ: QVCA, QVCB). QVC, Q, and the Q Ribbon Logo are registered service marks of ER Marks, Inc. For more information on Liberty Interactive Corporation, visit www.libertyinteractive.com.