Beauty BuyerJob ID 0817180 Date posted 12/13/2017
HSN’s Merchandising teams are responsible for developing our unique product assortment. Our buying teams partner with world class designers and industry experts to develop HSN exclusive products and build their brands. The teams create product and brands to inspire, entertain and engage our customers through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation and promotion. Buyers collaborate with Merchandise Planners, Programming Managers, Television team, Quality Assurance and Vendors to development and create the product selection that sets HSN apart. This team develops business strategies that drive sales through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation, promotion and ROI.
A Day in the Life
- Buying responsibility and financial accountability for Beauty.
- Conducting buying trips on an as needed basis.
- Negotiating buying terms with vendors (price, quantity, delivery terms, and markdown $).
- Manage inventory levels with input from Merchandise Administration team and Planning.
- Developing new products with existing vendors or sourcing new vendors for product ideas.
- Sourcing promotional opportunities within the category.
- Presenting category recommendations twice annually to VP/Director of the category:
- Future Plans
- Developing financial plan for the vendor(s) (profitability targets, markup and receipt flow).
- Keep abreast of industry trends and new product ideas.
- Building strong relationship with vendors.
- Attending to vendor/guest needs while on-site.
- Attract, motivate, and develop a team that will consist of Sr. Associate Buyer, Assistant Buyer, and Merchandise Assistants.
- Direct and coordinate work of team to ensure effective execution of strategy and attainment of goals.
- Partnering with Television, Digital and Social leadership to convey vendor requests (special sets or lighting, guest relations requests etc.)
- Partnering with Legal to ensure contractual obligations are met.
Keys to Success
At HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- Min 7 years buying experience with at least 4 years in Beauty
- BS/BA Degree
- Understanding of the merchandising process and product lifecycle i.e. Open to Buy
- Understanding of the product development lifecycle
- Understanding of portfolio management
- Knowledge of the various manufacturing processes for appropriate lines of business
- Must be able to think both globally/strategically as well as tactically
- Ability to analyze reports and draw conclusions/recommendations
- Ability to remain flexible and willing to change strategies as business needs dictate
- Strong understanding of staff development, mentoring and coaching skills
- Strong interpersonal skills particularly with building and managing peer relationships and relationships with senior management
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Strong understanding of merchandising financials and the ability to manage profitability
- Advanced Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook (ex. Creating and formatting formulas, links, graphs, charts and presentations
- Ability to travel both domestically and abroad as required
- Awareness of emerging online retail trends and usability best practices
Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “must haves”.
About HSN, Inc.
HSN, Inc. (Nasdaq:HSNI) is a $4 billion interactive multichannel retailer with strong direct-to-consumer expertise among its two operating segments, HSN and Cornerstone. HSNi offers innovative, differentiated retail experiences on TV, online, via mobile devices, in catalogs, and in brick and mortar stores. HSN, a leading interactive multichannel retailer which offers a curated assortment of exclusive products combined with top brand names, now reaches approximately 94 million homes (24 hours a day, seven days a week, live 364 days a year). HSN.com offers a differentiated digital experience by leveraging content, community and commerce. In addition to its existing media platforms, HSN is the industry leader in transactional innovation, including services such as HSN Shop by Remote®, the only service of its kind in the U.S., the HSN Shopping App for mobile handheld devices and HSN on Demand®. Cornerstone comprises leading home and apparel lifestyle brands including Ballard Designs®, Frontgate®, Garnet Hill®, Grandin Road®, and Improvements®. Cornerstone distributes approximately 325 million catalogs annually, operates five separate digital sales sites and operates 14 retail and outlet stores.