Associate Buyer - BeautyJob ID 0817118 Date posted 12/07/2017
HSN’s Merchandising teams are responsible for developing our unique product assortment. Our buying teams partner with world class designers and industry experts to develop HSN exclusive products and build their brands. The teams create product and brands to inspire, entertain and engage our customers through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation and promotion.
TheAssociate Buyer collaborates with their Buyer, Merchandise Planner, Programming Manager, Television team, Quality Assurance and Vendors to develop and create a product selection that sets HSN apart. Associate buyers, in collaboration with their buyer, develop business strategies that drive sales through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation, promotion and ROI.
- Conducting Open to Buy for assigned categories/vendors
- Accompanying Buyer on buying trips and to trade shows when needed
- Negotiating buying terms with vendors (price, quantity, delivery terms, and markdown $)
- Studying industry publications and popular media for trends and new product ideas
- Presenting category recommendations twice annually to VP/Director of the category
- Developing financial plan for the vendor(s) (profitability targets, markup and receipt flow)
- Developing new products with existing vendors or sourcing new vendors for product ideas
- Sourcing TS opportunities within the category
- Managing inventory levels with Merchandise Planner
- Building strong relationships with vendors
- Working with Planning & Programming depts. to support vendor strategy and HSN overall strategy
- Partnering with Television leadership to convey vendor requests (special sets or lighting, guest relations requests etc.)
- Partnering with Legal to ensure contractual obligations are met.
- Coaching and mentoring supporting staff of the buying team
Keys to Success
At HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- 5 years industry related experience – i.e.: Retail/Merch/Buying
- BS/BA Degree in a related field
- Ability to spot trends in the market and translate them into products desired by our target customer
- Ability to analyze sales reports and future projections and draw conclusions/ provide recommendations on maximizing profit
- Ability to determine value of product from materials and labor costs
- 1 year of experience negotiating terms and conditions
- 6 months of experience in developing Open to buy plan
- Excellent communications skills both written and oral
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems
- 6 months of experience in product development
- Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook (ex. Creating and formatting formulas, links, graphs, charts and presentations.
- Ability to travel both domestically and abroad as required
“Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “must haves”.
Nice to Haves:
- 6 plus years industry related experience – i.e.: Retail/Merch/Buying
- Experience in managing multiple direct reports
- Leadership and mentoring experience
HSN’s unique blend of Retail, Television and eCommerce create a one-of-a-kind working environment. Our employees enjoy a competitive benefit program including health and retirement plans, merchandise discounts, volunteer days, and more. We encourage growth and development across the company. Most importantly, we have fun. Follow HSN Careers on Facebook, TwitterandLinkedIn. To learn more, visit www.hsn.com/careers
About HSN, Inc.
HSN, Inc. (Nasdaq:HSNI) is a $4 billion interactive multichannel retailer with strong direct-to-consumer expertise among its two operating segments, HSN and Cornerstone. HSNi offers innovative, differentiated retail experiences on TV, online, via mobile devices, in catalogs, and in brick and mortar stores. HSN, a leading interactive multichannel retailer which offers a curated assortment of exclusive products combined with top brand names, now reaches approximately 94 million homes (24 hours a day, seven days a week, live 364 days a year). HSN.com offers a differentiated digital experience by leveraging content, community and commerce. In addition to its existing media platforms, HSN is the industry leader in transactional innovation, including services such as HSN Shop by Remote®, the only service of its kind in the U.S., the HSN Shopping App for mobile handheld devices and HSN on Demand®. Cornerstone comprises leading home and apparel lifestyle brands including Ballard Designs®, Frontgate®, Garnet Hill®, Grandin Road®, and Improvements®. Cornerstone distributes approximately 325 million catalogs annually, operates five separate digital sales sites and operates 14 retail and outlet stores.