Apparel BuyerJob ID 0816705 Date posted 09/06/2017
Buyers collaborate with Merchandise Planners, Programming Managers, Television Team, Digital Quality Assurance, and vendors to develop and create the product selection that sets HSN apart. This team develops business strategies that drive sales through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation, promotion and ROI.
A Day in the Life
- Developing new/unique product assortments with existing partners as well as sourcing/inviting new partners who want to be part of HSN.
- Build and manage strong relationship with partners.
- Build category and merchandising strategies that drive category growth across all HSN channels of distribution.
- Buying responsibility and financial accountability for category/ partners.
- Negotiating buying terms with vendors (price, quantity, delivery terms, and markdown $).
- Manage inventory levels with input from Merchandising team and Planning
- Presenting category recommendations monthly/quarterly twice annually to VP/Director of the category:
- Future Plans
- Developing financial plan for the vendor(s) (profitability targets, markup and receipt flow).
- Keep abreast of industry trends and new product ideas, and react accordingly to take advantage of opportunity or mitigate risk.
- Attending to vendor/guest needs while on-site.
- Attract, motivate, and develop team
- Direct and coordinate work of team to ensure effective execution of strategy and attainment of goals.
- Partnering with Cross functionally with all groups leadership to convey vendor requests
- Partnering with Legal to ensure contractual obligations are met.
Keys to Success
At HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!
- BS/BA Degree
- 6-10 years buyer experience in apparel
- Ability to manage high profile partners/designers.
- Understand multi channel retail
- Understanding of the merchandising process and product lifecycle
- Knowledge of Open to Buy process
- Strong understanding of merchandising financials and metrics
- Knowledge of the product development lifecycle
- Knowledge of the various manufacturing processes for appropriate lines of business
- Must be able to think both globally/strategically as well as tactically
- Ability to analyze reports and draw conclusions/recommendations
- Demonstrate strong decision making skills
- Ability to remain flexible and willing to change strategies as business needs dictate
- Ability to develop effective plans
- Strong knowledge of staff development, mentoring and coaching skills
- Ability to lead teams effectively and create a motivational workplace
- Strong interpersonal skills particularly with building and managing peer relationships and relationships with senior management
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Intermediate to Advanced Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook (ex. Creating and formatting formulas, links, graphs, charts and presentations
“Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “must haves”.
About HSN, Inc.
HSN, Inc. (Nasdaq:HSNI) is a $4 billion interactive multichannel retailer with strong direct-to-consumer expertise among its two operating segments, HSN and Cornerstone. HSNi offers innovative, differentiated retail experiences on TV, online, via mobile devices, in catalogs, and in brick and mortar stores. HSN, a leading interactive multichannel retailer which offers a curated assortment of exclusive products combined with top brand names, now reaches approximately 94 million homes (24 hours a day, seven days a week, live 364 days a year). HSN.com offers a differentiated digital experience by leveraging content, community and commerce. In addition to its existing media platforms, HSN is the industry leader in transactional innovation, including services such as HSN Shop by Remote®, the only service of its kind in the U.S., the HSN Shopping App for mobile handheld devices and HSN on Demand®. Cornerstone comprises leading home and apparel lifestyle brands including Ballard Designs®, Frontgate®, Garnet Hill®, Grandin Road®, and Improvements®. Cornerstone distributes approximately 325 million catalogs annually, operates five separate digital sales sites and operates 14 retail and outlet stores.